Mediaplayer control in Chrome & Firefox

Walter Hiller

Hello,
I´m wondering why the MediaPlayer control needs .ogv files for playing movies in Forefox or Chrome? Both browsers handle mp4 quite good. Is this a need of the java library? For me it is difficult, because I have to upload hundred of mp4- movies anyway and then I have to store same amount twice as .ogv. Not only a question of storage costs also a question of time and work. Thanks in advance for answer and advice.
kind regards,
Walter

DecSoft

Hello Walter,

Apparently MP4 are supported for all major browsers, then, probably we can ommit the OGV source. Finally this is optionally and the browsers capable to play MP4 files just take the MP4 source.

Walter Hiller

Hello David,

this is what I mean. All Browsers support mp4, but if you only fill in a mp4 source in the Mediaplayer control it will not work under CHROME or Firefox. Just test it yourself.
Thanks in advance, Walter

DecSoft

Hello Walter,

Well. The problem is not, apparently, in the MediaPlayer control. Here in my system Firefox and Chrome can reproduce OGG (.ogv) files. On the other hand, MP4 files are taken from Internet Explorer, but not Firefox nor Chrome. Following the Mozilla documentation MP4 is not always supported and depends in the codecs:

The MP4 container format with the H.264 video codec and the AAC audio codec is natively supported by desktop/mobile Internet Explorer, Safari and Chrome, but Chromium and Opera do not support the format. IE and Chrome also support the MP3 audio codec in the MP4 container, but Safari does not. Firefox/Firefox for Android/Firefox OS supports the format in some cases, but only when a third-party decoder is available, and the device hardware can handle the profile used to encode the MP4.

The MPEG media formats are covered by patents, which are not freely licensed. All the necessary licenses can be bought from MPEG LA. Since H.264 is currently not a royalty free format, it is unfit for the open web platform, according to Mozilla [1, 2], Google [1, 2] and Opera. However, since royalty free formats are not supported by Internet Explorer and Safari, Mozilla has decided to support the format anyway, and Google never fulfilled their promise to remove support for it in Chrome.

Maybe is a pain, Walter, but probably we need to provide at least two different formats: OGG and MP4. Out there is a war about the format and we cannot rely just in one format, MP4 or other.

DecSoft

Hello again,

Following this page, MP4 are supported by Firefox, but, "MP4" means "MPEG 4 files with H264 video codec and AAC audio codec". So maybe you can assert the MP4 files uses such codecs, Walter. Maybe that's the "problem".

DecSoft

Hello,

Me again... Finally I found certain bug in the MediaPlayer player Javascript code which causes the problem Walter! Even when we do not set other sources than MP4, App Builder add "empty" sources to the player, then the MP4 source is not taken by Firefox, for example. I am working in a solution and inform you when they are ready.

And sorry for the inconveniences Walter...

DecSoft

Hello Walter,

Please, update your App Builder copy. I fix a bug in the MediaPlayer control and the MediaSetSource action which cause we can't play only with MP4 files even in browsers which support that. Now we can play only with MP4 files at least in Microsoft Edge, Internet Explorer, Firefox and Google Chrome, and probably more browsers which support MP4 files.

We can play only with other possible formats and of course continue adding various source files to the MediaPlayer.

Todo el mundo puede leer el foro de soporte de DecSoft para aprender del mismo, sin embargo, sólo los clientes de DecSoft pueden abrir nuevos hilos. Compre una o más licencias de productos de DecSoft y obtendrá este y otros beneficios.

Este sitio utiliza "cookies" útiles para almacenar sus preferencias.

Bien. Ocultar esta nota. Obtener más información.